Thursday, December 19, 2013

My New Haven

Things have been productive around here. Well, maybe not whole house productive, but craft/sewing space productive.

It all started when I posted my 4 Simple Goals. Remember the state of the basement and my sewing space? Hmm, well take a moment and click back to that post because I am too embarrassed to post those pictures twice.

Sadly, it took me less than an hour to get both spaces back in tip-top shape. (And for the record, I am not talking about shoving everything to the side so I could take a blog picture. I mean everything in its place and a place for everything!)

A couple shots of the clean basement:

Clean Basement.1

Why yes, there are a few more appliances. We were given a “new to us” refrigerator and dryer. The old fridge is for our overflow, and hubby plans on fixing the dryer.

Clean Basement 2

Spacious enough for some toddler exercise! After cleaning the basement, I brought in the boys’ tricycles. Now they love doing laundry!

Lets check out my space. Drum roll please…. (just kidding, please don’t expect anything spectacular.)

Clean Sewing Space

Now before you scoff at my pride and joy, I fully understand that this is not anything to share with Martha (as in Stewart), pin to Pinterest under great spaces, or post to BHG fan page. But this is what I have to work with, and it works wonderfully for me.

Want to see my favorite part?

Let me give you a little back story first: Hubby came down and looked at our newly clean basement. He was impressed. Yet, he was a little concerned that I wouldn’t be able to use my space often, you know since I am the Mama of two and a half year old twin boys. Who.Destroy.Everything.

So he took action.

Boy's Corner in Sewing Space

We had an old television in the basement that just got shoved from corner to corner. It had not been turned on in at least ten years, and I may have occasionally begged my husband to take it out with the garbage.

Boy am I glad he didn’t take it to the road! He set up the television and a DVD player in the corner opposite my sewing table. I brought the art easel down, and a basket of toys. The boys can watch a movie, play, or create while Mama sews them up a new wardrobe. Win-win!

Including the Boys in Mama's Sewing Space

The chair was a more recent addition. We had to move it to put up the Christmas tree,and if the boys have anything to say about it; the chair is staying!

What challenges did/do you face with toddlers? I personally love this stage so much, all of the learning and imagination these little guys display. But sometimes it seems impossible to get anything done. This stage really helps us to stretch our parental creativity (like including a space for them in my space.)

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! We have been enjoying our new space so much.

      Delete
  2. Congrats for your new sewing space! I bet you'll be able to squeeze in some more sewing time, while toddler playin'/watching tv there with you!
    Can't wai to see your creations ;)
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness- I have been able to get so much done! My mom just gave us a huge area rug to put down, the boys are having a blast!

      Delete