Friday, December 6, 2013

A Few Completed Christmas Gifts

Is it already a week into December? My, how time flies when you are drowning in schoolwork. There is less than two weeks left in this semester, then life around here may go back to normal for a few weeks.

One of my 31 by 31 goals was to have Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving. That didn’t happen. I know a lot of people love shopping this time of year, but I despise it. I hate the crowds, the disgruntled store employees (no they are not all disgruntled, but it seems there is at least one), the rude shoppers, all of it. I would just rather stay out of the stores this time of year.

So instead of facing the holiday crowds, I have been busy trying to sneak in a few moments here and there making a few Christmas gifts. I thought I should share them with you guys, since they are all quick and easy this year.

Today is the crochet segment.

I highly recommend the Crochet Hipster Hat by Lorene of Cre8tion Crochet. This hat is a super cute and equally fast project. (I made two hats last night!)

Crochet Hipster Hat

I made the first one exactly as the pattern is written, bow and all. I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Oatmeal, and a size I hook. I love that the stitch looks detailed, yet is so simple once you get the hang of it.

Crochet Hipster With Brim

This second hat is a request from my step-daughter….made last May. Oops! At least now I have a handmade Christmas gift for her. ;)

She had requested an orange hat with a brim. We went to a few different stores looking for yarn, and she choose Lily Sugar’n’Cream cotton in Hot Orange. Let me tell you, this stuff is magic for dishcloths. Horrendous for hats. I had crocheted and frogged three different hats from three different patterns before finding success.

This hat is also a Crocheted Hipster hat, with a twist.

I used a size J hook, and worked the pattern through the eighth row. Then I crocheted the brim from Lorene’s Newsboy Slouch pattern. *For more info, see my project page on Ravelry, or leave a comment below.

crocheted teal earwarmer with flower

Next up is from Frayed Knot Crochet Patterns, Easiest Head Wrap EVER!!!

If you haven’t noticed, I am all about easy this year. And this pattern did not disappoint. I used Red Heart Soft yarn in Turquoise, and a size H hook.

The neighbor girls have been hinting about ear warmers, so I know I will be making a few more of these before Christmas.

What handmade gifts are you making this year? Please share any links! I will do all I can to avoid the Christmas crowds.

6 comments:

  1. I also hate Christmas shopping and avoid it as much as I can.
    I had planned a busy handmade season, but I just can't seem to be able to get much done lately. So far, I only have a blazer for my little niece and I just made a bracelet for one of our sisters today, but don't even know which one of them will get this. I had some beeds and tried an idea I had on my mind for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'd love to see the bracelet!
      I know how you feel, I have been in a bit of a rut, too. I had grand plans, but then life took over.
      I hope you and your family have a marvelous Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I love the hats. They are so pretty. They will be much cherished gifts. The only gifts I have made are the aprons 'Have a Butcher's", but I need to do a few cushions before the big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish you luck on your gifts, and I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Lovely hats, I like most the first one!
    I hate shopping between the crowds me too, so this year I'm making my gifts... on ebay and amazon!!! I know too much people that do not appreciate handmade that I've chosen not to waste my crafting time for them! It's their fault, not mine ;)
    Hugs,
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have a little confession...I think I may claim the first one as my own. (At least I'm waiting until after Christmas to claim it.) ;)
      My husband and I agreed that Amazon is the way to go this year.
      Have a great holiday!

      Delete