Tuesday, May 7, 2013

DIY Muscle Shirt How-To

I have two more completed Free Summer Sewing projects to show you.
The Muscle Shirt:
Free Summer Sewing Toddler Muscle Shirts
These were so easy to whip up. (Even easier than the t-shirts.)
I put together a quick how-to for you.
You need:
  • T-shirt
  • Ribbing
  • Pattern*
  • Sewing supplies (either machine, or needle and thread if you are a hand sewer)



*For the pattern, I self-drafted a pattern from one of the boys’ muscle shirts. You could use a t-shirt pattern, sans sleeves. You want to make the shoulder about an inch shorter at the armhole.
Muscle Shirt Before 2
Cut front and back from t-shirt.
Muscle Shirt Before1
*Be creative about ribbing. You can buy ribbing at the fabric store, but since I didn’t want to spend money, I took a look around. Ribbed tank tops work great!
Muscle Shirt, Ribbing
Cut ribbing into strips. I think I cut mine into 2 inch strips. Next time I will go three inches, its completely up to you.
Fold the strips in half and iron.
Muscle Shirt, Sew Shoulder Seam and Neck Ribbing
Match shoulders, right sides together. Only sew one side.
Match up edges of neckline and ribbing, right sides together. Sew.
Muscle Shirt Sew other Shoulder Seam
Sew the other shoulder.
Muscle Shirt Adding Ribbing to Armholes
Sew ribbing to armholes the same way as the neck.
Muscle Shirt Sew Side Seams
With shirt right sides together, match bottom hem and arm seams. Pin and sew up each side seam.
Muscle Shirt Bind With Ribbing
Fold ribbing to inside, making sure to catch the stitching on the inside.
*If dad may be dressing the kids, put in a tag. I just used a little piece of ribbon.
Pin and sew. *I like to sew right next to were the shirt and ribbing meet, on the shirt.
Sewing a Free Summer Wardrobe For Boys
That’s it, you’re done….unless you have twins; then repeat. Winking smile
Oops, I almost forgot the last step: Bribe your boys with Cupcake Goldfish and Matchbox cars and try your hardest to get a decent picture.
Summer Boy Refashions
And number two:
Boy Summer Refashions
Wait, we need a twin shot!
Two Completed Summer Outfits
These shirts are very easy to whip up. If my instructions were not very clear, let me know. I am happy to answer any questions you have!
Have you been working on summer clothes? What’s on your list?

Check out the parties:
Creative Sewing Blog

8 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool that you get to sew for two, i mean, I start getting a little sad when my daughter & son have plenty of clothes and I can't think of anything else that I need to make them. Then my niece and children of friends start getting random gifts lol.

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a blast having twins, but sometimes it takes me too long to get the second outfit sewn up. ;)
      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial! I would love to make some of these for my son! I love using ribbed shirts as ribbing!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting!
      This such a quick project to whip up. I am so glad I had those tanks in my stash.

      Delete
  3. Nice job! I have a bunch of T-shirts for goodwill - will be re-using for Ollie instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sewing for my little guys! Can't wait to see Ollie's new duds.

      Delete
  4. Excellent blog you’ve got here.. It’s difficult to find high-quality writing like yours nowadays. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!! You can visit my site. .
    workout clothing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post and it also comprises a lot of useful facts- Thanks for valuable clothes sharing.If you have time please visit my abbigliamento allenamento page.

    ReplyDelete