Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sewing For Summer, Preppy Boy Shorts

After going through the boy’s clothes, I realized they need a few summer staples. Taking a quick mental inventory, I decided to try and supply their wardrobe for free. My goal is to sew their essentials using clothes from my refashion tote, and fabric and notions from my stash.
First up, Preppy Shorts:
Summer Boy Refashion
I started with a woman’s short-sleeved jacket.
Before; Ladies Jacket
I was in love with the pockets and stitching detail on the front.
All In The Details
I (loosely) used this pattern and tutorial. Fabric was a little short, so I pulled out my seam ripper. Ripping the seams yielded me enough extra fabric for the width.
*(I even pulled the elastic from a pair of my step-daughter’s well-loved leggings.)
Take Apart Seams For More Fabric
I had a hard time trying to decide how to work around the bottom pockets. I cut right above them. Then I had ripped the sleeve cuffs, and attach them to the bottom by encasing inside the cuffs (like binding).
Cut Out And Sew
These are the Preppy Mullet Shorts, Business in The Front:
After, Little Man Shorts
Party In The Back:
Sewing A Summer Wardrobe For Boys, Without Spending Money
I love Dana’s flat front pants tutorial. It is so easy to follow, and has a nice fit. Perfect for beginners.
These shorts were quick to sew, besides ripping the seams apart for extra fabric.
Have you taken inventory of your summer clothes? Are you planning on DIYing a couple of staples? As always, I love to hear your thoughts!
*Stop back tomorrow for another preppy short refashion.

Participating here:
125

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That's an awesome upcycle! I think the shorts are much cuter than the original jacket. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think the shorts are much better too!

      Delete
  2. Great job!!!! These look just like shorts I've seen at Carters. Very professional mama! I might have to try this pattern for Ollie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's such a compliment! I really like this pattern. She has tutorials for so many variations also, elastic waist, flat front, shorts, pockets, etc. They are so easy to follow (would be perfect for Ollie!)

      Delete
  3. That's so cool! What a great refashion! They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love refashion projects! What can be better than sewng for free! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem is that I am looking at every article of clothing in our house up a wardrobe for the boys. Hubby is going to have to put a deadbolt on his closet! ;)

      Delete