Friday, August 3, 2012

Slow Cooker Recipe- Roast

Roast is one of my go-to recipes. It is so easy, and the family loves it! I just put everything in the slow cooker, and leave it be until dinner time. By lunch the whole house smells scrumptious. By dinner every mouth on the block is watering.

We do things a little different around here though...don't hate me, please...

Here goes: we eat venison. I understand this may offend some of you, so I'm okay if you decide to skip this post. (I just wanted to issue a warning.)

There are a few reasons we eat venison.
  1. My husband enjoys hunting. Hunting is a pointless hobby if you don't eat what you hunt. (Like growing a garden and not eating the vegetables you grow.)
  2. Venison is a very lean, good-for-you meat.
  3. It a cheap, lean, good-for-you meat.
  4. We all enjoy it!
The biggest complaint I get from other wives of hunters is that they don't know how to prepare venison. The trick, er- one of the tricks? Cook it long and slow. This is where a slow cooker comes in handy.

Here's how I cook a roast (venison or beef):
Gather your ingredients. For us its potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, onion soup mix, roast, and a can of cola (Coke is best, but we only had Pepsi).
Clean potatoes, cut in half (or smaller if potatoes are large), and layer in bottom of slow cooker.
Add carrots.
Next, add the roast.
Put onion soup mix on roast. If your feel like it- rub it in a little.
Cut onions. (Tip- if you have onion haters, cut them large so they are easy to pick out. Just don't skip the onion. They give so much flavor, and the "Mmmm. What's for dinner?" aroma.
Layer the fresh mushrooms on top. The mushrooms are totally optional. We love mushrooms here. I have used sliced, whole, and skipped them all together. It all tastes good.
Pour the cola over it all.
Set slow cooker to low, and walk away. Let cook all day, at least 8 hours, but longer is better.
Plate up, and enjoy! Sorry such a bad 'final'picture. This is one of the lil' ones' plates, most was devoured before I could take a good picture.

This meal is wonderful! Everyone loves Roast Day in my neighborhood. The little guys, picky girl, growing teenager, grateful hubby, even the neighbor girls enjoy Roast Day.

What is your go-to family meal?


No comments:

Post a Comment