Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins


I found this recipe at Don't Waste The Crumbs before we knew we had an egg allergy in the house. Let me tell you, these muffins are awesome. I am not very good at eating breakfast, when these were in the freezer- I had breakfast almost everyday until they were gone. They are that good!

They are also better in the nutrition department. Tiffany uses oat flour. She shows you how to make your own. Don't panic, its easy.

If you don't have an egg allergy in the house go try her recipe.

There are many (too many) substitutes for eggs. A common one for baking is apple sauce. Sometimes it works, sometimes your baked goods taste like crap. I was a little tired of having one out of three baking recipes tasting good, so I did not use applesauce this time.

For this recipe I tried the flax seed route. I'm not sure why, but I have been intimidated by flax seed. What is this stuff? I had the fear that everything would taste cardboard healthy.

I figured that since the muffins taste great with oat flour (not cardboard healthy), I should try ground flax seed as an egg substitute.

Its easy. First mix your egg substitute. 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 Tablespoons of water for each egg. Mix it up. Let it sit for two to five minutes. While it is sitting I get out the rest of the ingredients. Then I start mixing, adding the flax seed mixture where the eggs are needed.

This recipe makes 18 muffins. Since I was making them for the littles, I made some mini-muffins. The recipe made 24 mini-muffins, and 9 regular muffins.

That's mama muffin, with her twin little muffins. (Maybe I need a nap.)

I let them cool completely, then put in a freezer bag and freeze. When we want a muffin, we pop one out and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds for a large muffin, and 15 for a mini-muffin.

The verdict:
These are wonderful! This is going to be an egg-free go-to favorite! My wheels are spinning. Maybe I could add cocoa powder, make them double chocolate. Maybe I could use zucchini instead of bananas. What about apples...

Have you discovered any egg-free secrets? I would love to hear them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment